Health Information Encourages Grape Purchase
Let Them Know: Grapes Taste Great and Are Good For You Too
Consumers love grapes for their great taste, but grapes are also a healthy choice. Current scientific research suggests that grapes help support heart health and may also play a role in promoting healthy aging. How? Grapes are a source of natural compounds called polyphenols, which can help promote antioxidant activity and can also assist with cell processes that are critical to overall health.
Additionally, grapes have no fat, no cholesterol, and are very low in sodium. They are an excellent source of vitamin K, a nutrient critical to healthy blood clotting, that is currently being investigated for its role in bone health and more. These healthy attributes, combined with juicy fresh flavor, make grapes an easy choice for the health conscious shopper.
There are a number of ways shoppers think about food and health, but here are the three most common:
- Many consumers consider grocery shopping to be essential to the way they manage their own health*
- Nine out of ten shoppers agree that the foods or beverages you eat or drink can have an impact on health and well-being**
- Three-quarters of shoppers (75%) report making at least “some” effort to eat disease-fighting foods that contain antioxidants. Of this group, one quarter (31%) are making a “great deal” of effort***
When it comes to grapes and health, the majority of consumers know that grapes are good for them:****
- 87% of consumers agree that fresh grapes contain natural compounds that may promote health
- Most shoppers consider grapes a healthy snack
- In fact, 85% of shoppers say they buy grapes as a healthy substitute for less healthy snacks and desserts
- 85% of shoppers say they buy grapes for in-between meal snacks
- 57% of consumers know grapes contain beneficial antioxidants*****
- 40% of consumers are much more likely to purchase grapes after learning that they have antioxidants******
Health Benefits of Grapes Play Well with Shoppers
Shoppers will appreciate reminders that grapes are a healthy choice. Here is some suggested signage text that can encourage grape purchase for a variety of shoppers.
* The Future of Health and Wellness in Food Retailing, Institute for the Future, 2008.
** 2013 California Table Grape Commission Attitude and Usage Survey. Conducted by FleishmanHillard, St. Louis Research Division.
***** Hartman Group January 2012 Clicks and Cravings: Impact of Social Technology on Food Culture.